I’ve never been one for New Year’s resolutions.  There is no magical date to make changes in your life, and if you want to make the changes, you can put forth the effort on any day of the year.  There’s no time like the present!  However, if you are trying to make some healthier choices (whether because of a New Year’s resolution or not), this side dish might be a good thing to incorporate into your menu plan.  It has whole grains in the form of brown rice, veggies, and beans to provide some protein.
Bridget suggested using two cans of black beans, so that is what I did.  I liked it this way because I love black beans, but I think if you’re wanting a rice dish, it might be a little heavy on the beans.  I suppose it just depends on if you’re in a rice kind of mood or a bean kind of mood :)  With all the beans, I think topping with a bit of salsa and shredded cheese could make this a light meal all on its own.  It would also be great with some spicy grilled chicken mixed right in.  I served it alongside honey chipotle glazed chicken, and it was an excellent pairing.