Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Thai Beef With Cabbage


I must be craving iron or something, because when I flipped across this beefy recipe out of the newest Cooking Light, my stomach joined forces with my heart and sucker punched me in the face.
Oh, and guess what! Yesterday, for the first time ever in my existing life existence, I purchased my very first iphone! I SHO’ DEED.
And guess what else! I’m on Instagram and in less than 24 hours, I’ve seen a beautiful and slightly terrifying glimpse at what my future holds for me. Come find me and say hey!
What other apps do I NEED? What are you obsessed with? What do I need to be obsessed with?
Other than 538 helpings of this beefy cabbage-y goodness in my belly. WHAT? I had to celebrate my iphone and the fact that I’m now a part of today’s society and culture, dudes.
(I realize that beef and iphones have nothing to do with this each other, but that is the course of my brain today. You’re not surprised at all, are you?)
Thai Beef and Cabbage:
(from Cooking Light)
What it took for 4:
* 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 shallots, thinly sliced
* pinch of salt
* 1 Tbs. ground turmeric
* 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
* 1 pound ground sirloin
* 4 cups shredded cabbage (about half a head)
* 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
* 1/2 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the shallots and saute until they start to soften, 3 minutes. Add the turmeric, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt. Bloom the spices for 1 minute.
Add the beef and cook until browned, 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and tomatoes, and toss to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook 10 minutes.
Toss in the peanuts, stir to combine, throw that lid back on and cook 10 more minutes, letting the cabbage wilt. Taste and add a little more salt if needed.
Serve her up and garnish with parsley if desired!

No comments:

Post a Comment