Low-Carb Picnic Perfections – CHICKEN CAESAR PITAS
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 oz each)
1/3 cup reduced-fat Caesar dressing
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 small carrot)
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
2 whole wheat pita (pocket) breads (6 inch), cut in half to form pockets
1 plum (Roma) tomato, thinly sliced
1. Set oven control to broil. Brush both sides of chicken with 1 tablespoon of the dressing; sprinkle with pepper.
2. Place chicken on rack in broiler pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 12 to 15 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F). Cool about 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices.
3. In medium bowl, toss lettuce, carrot and cheese with remaining dressing until coated. Fill each pita bread half with tomato and chicken; top with lettuce mixture.
6. Pour hot pickling juice over pickles to fill jar. Cover tightly with lid and refrigerate 4 to 5 days before serving. Pickle flavor and sweetness intensity increase over time.
7. The chicken can be used warm, or you can cook it ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you make the sandwiches.